Custom-make your own polka dot beads with mini Smoothfoam balls. They are super easy and loads of fun to do!
I was inspired by the colors of a cloudless spring sky and fresh shoots of grass, but you could make your beads in any color you wish.
Want a chance to WIN $100 worth of Smoothfoam sheets and shapes? Just leave on comment on this post (click the “replies” link below) and come back to leave a comment on every post in March to enter! That’s up to 31 chances to win…good luck!
Five 1″ Smoothfoam balls
Acrylic paint – turquoise, spring green
3′ length of 1/2″ organza ribbon – spring green
1″ foam brush
Ruler or tape measure
Scrap corrugated cardboard
1. Poke a toothpick into each ball and set in onto the cardboard. This makes the balls easier to paint.
2. Paint two coats of paint on each ball (3 green and 2 blue). Allow the paint to dry between coats.
3. Paint polka dots in the opposite color on each ball. To make nice neat dots, dab the back end of your paint brush into the paint to make the dot; allow to dry.
4. Poke a hole all the way through the center of each ball with the needle.
5. Thread the ribbon through the needle, then thread one of the green balls onto the ribbon and push it to the center of the ribbon. Make overhand knots on each side of the ball. Add a blue ball, make an overhand knot, add a green ball, and make an overhand knot. Remove your needle, then thread the other half of the ribbon through it. Alternate the colored balls and knots on the other side in the same way.
6. Cut the ends of the ribbon on an angle and make overhand knots at each end. To wear your necklace, tie the ends into a bow at the back.