For Valentine’s Day, a day of hearts and flowers, I was inspired to use a heart shape to make a big Valentine flower for my heart vase. Half of a Smoothfoam ball makes an ideal flower center – just add fun polka dot straws for a stem and there you have it! Make a bouquet and tuck a love note into the back. Be Mine, Valentine!
You will need:
2” Smoothfoam ball
9” x 12” Kunin Felt Craft Cuts – 3 sheets Red, 1 sheet Candy Pink
Heart shape die (mine is for a Sizzix Big Shot machine)
Buttons – pink, white, red
Aleene’s Turbo Tacky Glue
Aleene’s Quick Dry Fabric Fusion
Fabric heart embellishments or stickers
3 paper straws
12” piece of 1/8” dowel
Scissors, clamp, craft knife
1. Cut the Smoothfoam ball in half and glue buttons to the round side with Turbo Tacky. Overlap to cover completely. Set aside to dry.
2. Die-cut six red and two pink hearts.
4. Use a clamp to hold each heart petal while gluing the next one. Repeat for all six. For pink hearts, glue along the entire edge, fold in half, finger press.
5. Place the half ball round side down. Glue flower petals overlapping slightly, spacing evenly around flat end of ball.
6. Cut the dowel in half. Insert into straws to join together and glue if needed. Glue straw to back of flower. Glue pink heart leaves overlapping at join of first two straws.
7. Add fabric embellishments and buttons as desired. Trim stem to appropriate length.