At first glance, this wallhanging might seem like a reminder to pick up a bouquet at the store, but it’s actually the second half of a pair of carved Smoothfoam panels which I made to illustrate the saying “April Showers Bring May Flowers.” You can see last month’s “April Showers” panel here.
For the April panel, I used primary colors and tried to evoke a dreary rainy day with a drippy painted blue sky background. For my May panel, I chose bright secondary colors and added a cork tile as a nice earthy background for the flowers. Try carving one for yourself – you’ll have fun!
12″ x 12″ Smoothfoam Scrapbook Mount
2 Sulky Stick’n Carve Printable Transfer Sheet s
12″ square cork tile – The Board Dudes
Craft paints – light green, medium green, pink, purple, lavender
Paint pens – black, white, green
Hot Wire Foam Factory Hot Knife & Mini-Scroll Table & Engraving Tool
Picture hanging hook or stand
1. Click here to download* my artwork. Because the design is too large to fit on a single sheet of Sulky, I tiled it on two pages. Print the artwork on to the Sulky Stick’n Carve Printable Transfer Sheets. Peel off the backing release paper and apply the Sulky sheet pieces to the Smoothfoam block, overlapping to make one continuous design. Trim off the excess transfer sheet.
2. Use the Hot Knife tool to poke a pilot hole in the Smoothfoam sheet in each area which will be cut out.
3. Carefully carve out the Smoothfoam sheet with the Mini-Scroll Table. You will need to unthread and insert the wire into each pilot hole to make each interior cut.
4. Use the Engraving Tool to carve details into the foam including a scalloped border. Peel off the transfer sheets when finished.
5. Paint the frame of the carving light green. Let dry before dry brushing a light coat of medium green paint in the scalloped areas.
6. Paint the flowers pink and the large text shapes purple. Let dry. Paint the letters lavender.
7. Add details with the paint pen as shown.
8. Glue the carving to the cork tile and glue a picture hanging hook to the back or display on an easel.
* You are welcome to use my original artwork only for your own use or for a gift/donation. You may not use my designs for items intended for resale.