It has been a long, snowy winter on the east coast. It seems like spring will never come. What to do until spring blooms? Make it happen! I created this cheery felt flower photo holder for my desk. Family photos always make me smile, so this project is an ideal way to display them! Make a trio to sit on a shelf, or make one for each child’s room in her favorite colors. This would be a great gift or crafty project for a get-together. Have fun and think spring!
1. Cut the aqua felt as follows: 1-½” x 12” strip; 3” circle; ten 2” x 3” pieces; seven 1-¾” x 2-½” pieces; five 1-½” x 2” pieces.
2. Cut the Moroccan felt as follows: 3” circle; two 2” x 4” pieces, one 8″x12″ piece
3. Wrap and glue the 8″x12″ sheet of Moroccan felt around the block, and glue the 2″x4″ pieces to the top and bottom of the block. Wrap the 12″ Aqua strip around the block, 1-½” up from the bottom. Glue the strip in place in the back and on the sides, leaving the front unglued to slide photos in. Glue 3 buttons to the strip.
3. Fold the Aqua 2″x3″ pieces in half lengthwise and trim each to a petal shape with a slight curve, as shown. Repeat for the twelve other pieces – you’ll have 10 large petals, 7 medium and 5 small.
4. To shape each petal, fold the edges of the base toward the middle. Add a dab of glue and press the edges down as shown.
5. Glue the Aqua circle to the wrong side of the Moroccan circle. Glue the large petals side by side, around the outer 1/2″ edge of the circle. Layer and glue the medium petals, then the small petals in place as shown. Glue a button to the center of the flower. Glue the flower to the top of the block. If you want to create multiple flowers to switch out, adhere with Velcro dots instead.