I created this fall leaf wall panel to embrace the fall season, which is non-existent where I live in Florida. The year-round sunshine is a wonderful thing, but I still miss certain things about fall – like the crisp air, apple picking and the leaves changing from green to gorgeous shades of red, burgundy, yellow and orange. Smoothfoam is easy to paint and it’s lightweight, making it easy to hang and store. Liven up any room with this fall wall decoration.
One 12″ Smoothfoam Scrapbook Page Mount
Craft paints – Chocolate Brown, Fawn, Sable Brown
Weathered Wood Crackle Medium
Hot wire cutting tool
Scrapbook paper in a fall color
One 60″ length 1/4″ ribbon
Paint brush, paper, pencil
Ball point pen, broad tip marker, nail file
1. Draw leaf pattern on plain paper in pencil, then outline with a marker. Trace leaf on sheet of Smoothfoam, using a ball point pen to depress the surface.
2. Cut out the leaf shape with a hot wire cutting tool. Smooth any rough edges with a nail file. If you can carve the leaf out in one piece, you have a great shape for another project.
3. Paint the panel with Chocolate Brown, let dry. Apply Weathered Wood Medium according to package instructions.
4. Place Fawn and Sable Brown next to each other on your palette, load both paints on a large brush and paint the panel with another coat. To achieve the best crackling, stroke only once over the surface, do not go back and forth. Use more paint to get larger cracks, less paint for smaller cracks. Let dry.
5. Paint the outside edges with Fawn and Sable Brown, but leave the inside of the leaf shape Chocolate Brown for contrast.
6. Glue the sheet of scrapbook paper to the back of the panel, let dry. Glue 1/4″ wide ribbon around the outer edge and let dry. Tie excess ribbon in a loop and bow to glue or pin at the top as a hanger.
For more inspiration and fall wall decorations, check out the Smoothfoam Facebook page!