Birthdays are so special, especially when you are turning 6 years old!
My niece wanted to have a cupcake-themed birthday party, so I created this special gift box that looks like a cupcake and I filled it with all of her favorite things!
Now that her birthday is over, she has placed it on her dresser, filled with all of her jewelry.
4-1/2″ Smoothfoam ball
1″ Smoothfoam ball
4″ round paper mâché box with lid
Scrapbook paper – small doily, stripe and yellow damask
Americana Acrylic Paints – Peony Pink and Foliage Green
Golden Molding Paste
Martha Stewart Glitter – Tourmaline
Twelve 1/2″ brads (paint to match project colors if needed)
24″ length lavender crinkled seam binding ribbon
24″ length white sparkle yarn
Aleene’s Original Tacky Glue
KOOL TAK Premium Extreme 1/2″ wide double-sided adhesive
1″ green button, pearl bead, rhinestone
8″ length white string
Scissors, foam cutting tool or serrated knife
Palette knife, 1″ flat paint brush
Paper towels, toothpick, wood skewer
Birthday sentiment rub-on, small flower
1. Cut 1-1/2″ off the bottom of the Smoothfoam ball with serrated knife. Glue the larger half to the box lid. When the glue is dry, spread molding paste on the ball with a palette knife (like cake icing) and let dry overnight.
2. Insert toothpick into 1″ Smoothfoam ball to hold, coat with glue and wrap with white sparkle fiber until covered. Trim any excess and set aside to dry.
3. Cut striped paper into a 3″x15″ strip and adhere to the bottom of the box with
Premium Extreme. Tie lavender ribbon around the box, 1″ up from bottom and tie a
bow. Thread the string though the button, tie in a bow and glue to the center of the
ribbon and let dry.
4. Cut out rows of doilies from scrapbook paper and attach end-to-end with Premium Extreme until you have a 15″ length, set aside.
5. Paint the cupcake top with Peony Pink, let dry, then spread glue all over it and coat with glitter. Press glitter gently into glue with your fingers, let dry and then shake off excess.
6. Paint skewer Foliage Green. Cut a 1-1/2″ by 5″ strip of damask paper, fold it in half around the top of the skewer and adhere halves together with Premium Extreme. Apply the rub-on sentiment on one side and trim out a triangle from the edge to create a flag. Glue the pearl bead, flower and rhinestone to top of skewer above the flag.
7. Adhere the doily strip around the edge of the box lid with Premium Extreme. Press brads randomly into the top of the cupcake and poke the sparkle ball in at the top. Poke the flag at an angle on one side.