This DIY butterfly wall art makes a charming reminder to try new and daring things. Its simple shape makes it the perfect beginner project for carving Smoothfoam. And it is easy to personalize by adding your favorite quote or loved one’s name. You’ll want to make lots of these!
12″ Smoothfoam Scrapbook Mount
Sulky Stick’n Carve Printable Transfer sheets
Acrylic paints – black, light blue, medium blue, dark blue, metallic blue
Hot Wire Foam Factory Hot Knife & Mini-Scroll Table & Engraving Tool
Paint pens – white, black
Silver 12-gauge wire
White glue, paintbrush
1. Click here to download* my butterfly design. Because it’s too large to fit on a single sheet of Sulky Stick’n Carve, I tiled it on two sheets. Print the butterfly and peel off the backing release paper, then apply the Sulky pieces to the Smoothfoam sheet, overlapping to make one continuous design. Trim off the excess transfer sheet.
2. Carefully carve out the Smoothfoam sheet with the Mini-Scroll Table.
3. Use the Engraving Tool to carve the wording and other details into the foam. Peel off the transfer sheets when finished.
4. Paint the butterfly black. Let dry.
5. Dip the paintbrush into the dark blue, then wipe most of the paint off onto a paper towel and “dry brush” the blue on top of the black. Set aside to dry. Repeat with the medium blue and light blue paints, letting dry in between coats.
6. Paint the banner area with a few coats of blue metallic paint.
6. Add details with the paint pens as shown.
7. To form the antennae, cut two pieces of wire to 5″ long. Twist one wire into a loose spiral and insert it into the top of the butterfly. Secure with a drop of white glue. Repeat for the second wire.
8. Glue a picture hanging hook to the back or display on an easel.
* Copyright: You are welcome to use my original artwork only for your own use or for a gift/donation. You may not use my designs for items intended for resale.