One of my favorite things about spring is the sight of brightly-colored umbrellas from people hurrying down the street, dodging puddles and trying so hard not to bump into each other. I decided to capture that moment by carving a trio of umbrellas into a Smoothfoam sheet and backing it with a painted square. Now wouldn’t this cheer you up on a rainy day?
12″ x 12″ Smoothfoam Scrapbook Mount
12″ x 12″ white foam core
2 Sulky Stick’n Carve Printable Transfer sheet s
Craft paints – red, white, light blue, medium blue, dark blue
Black permanent marker
Hot Wire Foam Factory Hot Knife & Mini-Scroll Table & Engraving Tool
Picture hanging hook
1. Click here to download* my artwork. Because the design is too large to fit on a single sheet of Sulky, I tiled it on two pages. Print the artwork on to the Sulky Stick’n Carve Printable Transfer sheets. Peel the backing release paper and apply the Sulky sheet pieces to the Smoothfoam block overlapping to make one continuous design. Trim off the excess transfer sheet.
2. Use the Hot Knife tool to poke a pilot hole in the Smoothfoam sheet in each area which will be cut out.
3. Carefully carve out the Smoothfoam sheet with the Mini-Scroll Table. You will need to unthread and insert the wire into each pilot hole to make each interior cut.
5. Paint the carving gray. Let dry before adding one more coat of paint.
6. Paint the umbrellas red and the letters white, let dry. Use the black marker to fill in the umbrella handles and letter shapes as shown.
7. Paint the foam core light blue, brushing vertically from top to bottom. Let dry. Use a dry brush to add long strokes of medium blue paint. Repeat with dark blue paint. Mix a dollop of light blue paint with one tablespoon water to make a thin blue wash. Use the handle tip of a paintbrush to drip the blue wash on the foam core. Let dry.
8. Glue the carving to the painted foam core and glue a picture hanging hook to the back or display on an easel.
* You are welcome to use my original artwork only for your own use or for a gift/donation. You may not use my designs for items intended for resale.