Here’s a delightfully fruitful way to give a little recognition to your favorite “Top Banana” for their perfect report card, excellent bedmaking, or just because it’s Friday. Everyone deserves a homemade trophy, and this Top Banana trophy is fun as a gag gift, too!
2″ x 4″ x 8″ Smoothfoam block
3″ Smoothfoam cube
1/4″ wood dowel (cut to 7″ length)
Plastic banana (from the floral dept)
Hand drill and 1/4″ drill bit
Foam cutter or craft knife
Hot glue gun, glue sticks
Black acrylic paint
2 screw brads
Cardstock: kraft, yellow
Scissors, paper trimmer
1/8″ hole punch
Extra large oval punch
1. Cut Smoothfoam block in half to 2″ x 4″ x 4″. Sand the cut edge smooth.
2. Paint the Smoothfoam block, cube, and dowel with two coats of black acrylic paint and allow to dry.
3. Find the center of the painted block and the cube, and use the hand drill to make a starter hole in each piece. Stack the cube onto the block and press the dowel carefully through the centers of each. Use hot glue to secure.
4. Punch an oval from the kraft cardstock.
5. Print the words “Top Banana” on the yellow cardstock from your computer and trim down to a strip that’s about 1/3 the width of the oval to create a plaque.
6. Punch a small hole at each end of the plaque. Center the plaque onto the Smoothfoam cube and press screw head brads into the holes to secure
7. Drill a 1/4″ hole into the bottom of the fake banana and secure it to the top of dowel with hot glue.