Back to school time is approaching FAST and my teacher friends always like new, cute and crafty items to hang on their classroom doors!
I created this pencil sign so my friend Mrs. Hill could welcome her new students and parents back to school in style – and maybe it will help her have an easier transition from teaching first grade to teaching third grade!
Here’s what you will need:
12″ x 36″ Smoothfoam sheet
Americana Paints – Bubblegum Pink, Graphite, Mustard Seed and Desert Sand
Tombow Xtreme Permanent Adhesive Runner
Ranger Foil Tape Sheets
Rub-on stylus, ruler, pencil, paint brush, scissors
Hot knife cutting tool
24″ length of grey ribbon
Yellow chevron stripe scrapbook paper
2″ alpha stickers
Here’s how to make it:
1. Measure a 10″ x 25″ rectangle from the Smoothfoam sheet. To create the pencil point, measure in 5″ from right side along the top and bottom long edges. Measure to the 5″ center along the short side edge. Connect the dots to create a point! To create the eraser, draw in rounded corners from left side along the short edge.
2. Cut out the pencil shape with the hot knife.
3. Measure in 4″ for the eraser and then another 2-1/2″ for the metal band. Paint the eraser with Bubblegum Pink, the pencil point in Desert Sand, and the edges of the pencil shaft in Mustard Yellow. Paint the pencil lead in Graphite. Let dry and add a second coats for each color as needed.
4. Measure and cut scrapbook paper to fit the 10″ x 14″ pencil shaft. To tile two sheets together so the pattern isn’t interupted, trim around the chevron stripe at the end of one sheet, then glue the sheets to the pencil with tape runner.
5. Measure and cut the foil tape sheet to 2-1/2″ x 12″ and peel off backing paper. NOTE: Foil tape tends to curl up and stick to itself, so be CAREFUL with this step and work slowly. Attach the foil to the Pencil between the shaft and eraser. Smooth it down with the flat end of your stylus. Emboss a pattern across the band using the ball end of the stylus. Since the base is Smoothfoam, this step is EASY!
6. Adhere the ribbon to the back of the pencil for hanging and place your alpha stickers on top to spell out your teacher’s name or the word WELCOME!