St. Patrick’s Day is always an extra special occasion for me because I have a very good friend whose birthday falls on March 17th! Everything has to be green and sparkly, so I created these shamrock topiaries to add a little bling to the table. They make a great centerpiece when grouped together, or they can be scattered around your party. Try using them as placecards for a more formal St. Patrick’s Day celebration.
Here’s what you need:
Three 3″ Smoothfoam cubes
9 Smoothfoam hearts
Clearsnap Background Basics Stamps (Ann Butler Designs) – Picnic, Diamonds, Checkers
DecoArt Americana paints – Foliage Green, Hauser Medium Green and Avocado
3 wood dowels, 9 wood skewers
Ink pads – 3 shades of green
Glitters – 3 shades of green
Gloss gel medium
Paint brush, paper trimmer
Low temp glue gun
Assorted ribbons (10-12″ long)
1. Insert skewers in the base of each heart. Paint one cube, one dowel and three hearts with each shade of green. Place the skewered hearts in a drinking glass to dry. Repeat with a second coat, if needed.
3. Coat a heart with gel medium and sprinkle with coordinating glitter over a paper plate (fold plate in half to funnel glitter back in to the container after each application). Repeat with the remaining eight hearts and let dry in the drinking glass.
4. Seal the glitter on each heart with another coat of gel medium and let dry. Trim out the 15 stamped squares and glue them to the sides and tops of each cube with gel medium, let dry. Contrast the ink shade with the paint shade for a more dramatic effect.
5. Insert a painted dowel into a heart and secure at the base with the glue gun. Glue the other two matching hearts to each side as shown. Repeat with remaining hearts to create three shamrocks.
6. Press the opposite end of each dowel into the top of the coordinating cube and secure with low temp glue. Tie three lengths of green ribbons in a bow and glue to the center of each shamrock. Tie remaining ribbons to the top of each dowel.