Create a shabby chic signpost with chalk paint and embroidered letters.
3″ Smoothfoam cube
Joy embroidered letters (I used 1.5” script and 1″ block letters)
Chalky finish paints – 3 colors
White craft paint
16″ long dowel (3/8” diam)
Wood bead to fit dowel
Corrugated cardboard coffee cup sleeves
Craft knife, metal ruler, sandpaper
Paintbrush, bamboo skewers
1. Cut sections from the Smoothfoam sheet with craft knife and metal ruler (each 2 ½” wide) at varied lengths – 7″, 8″ and 9”. Notch the ends randomly with the knife to look like torn, weathered wood. Sand along the sides to distress further.
2. Push a skewer into the center of each sign to use as a handle (this also starts a pilot hole in each sign for assembly later) and paint each sign a different color. Paint the Smoothfoam cube and the wood dowel white. Brush the edges of cube and paint the wood bead with a contrasting color.
3. Tear the corrugated cardboard into rough squares, smudge with paint and then glue a square to each side of the cube.
4. Glue letters to each sign to spell a word, let dry.
5. Use the skewers to push pilot holes through the center of each sign and then carefully thread the signs on to the dowel. Glue the bead to the top of dowel.