Isn’t this just the cutest block on the block? This napkin-decoupaged photo holder was one of our Make & Take projects that we shared in our booth at the 2014 Craft & Hobby Association Mega Show.
You will need:
3″ Smoothfoam cube
Four 1″ Smoothfoam balls
Decorative paper napkins
Floral wire – 18 guage
¼” wide grosgrain ribbon
Black Patio Paint
Large, soft brush
Small, soft brush
Aleene’s Fast Grab Tacky Glue
Scissors, craft knife
1. Push a toothpick into each 1” ball to use as a handle, then paint each ball with black patio paint. Set aside to dry.
2. Separate the layers of a napkin and remove the printed layer to work with. Cut two 3” square pieces for the top and bottom of the cube. Cut the rest of the printed layer into long, 3″wide strips. Wrap one strip around two sides of the cube, gently adhering with with decoupage sealer, then continue with more strips to cover the other sides, and adhere the 3” squares to the top and bottom. Insert a toothpick into the base of the block if handling the cube with fingers becomes too sticky. Let dry.
3. Glue a black ball to each corner of the base of the block, let dry.
4. Wrap a strip of ribbon around the top edge of the block, about ½” down from the top edge and secure to the foam with sequin pins. Use a craft knife to make 3 tiny pilot holes in the ribbon on each side of the cube, then insert a mini brad thru each hole in the ribbon with a dab of glue.
5. To make the wire heart, wrap one piece of wire twice around a paint bottle, leave 2″ at each end and twist the ends together. Slide the coil off and gently pull out the top part of each loop to create the heart shape. The coils will overlap at the center to create a slot to hold a photo. Make a pilot hole in the center of the top of the cube, add a few drops of glue and push the wire into the cube.