Quotes, words and letters are popular right now and it’s so easy to carve your own favorite word out of a block of Smoothfoam. I had been playing with the idea of a carving a little house, but I wanted to try something totally out of my usual color choices. I used a chalky -inish blue paint on the carving and was delighted to find that fabric markers worked well on the matte surface. This is a fun project that can be easily adapted to your own particular colors or your special word or name.
2” x 4” x 12″ Smoothfoam block
Sulky Stick’n Carve Printable Transfer sheet
Proxxon Tabletop Hot Wire Cutter
Hot Wire Foam Factory Hot Knife and Engraving Tool
Acrylic paints – Chalky finish baby blue
1. Click here to download my “Home” artwork* and print it onto the Sulky transfer sheet. Trim off the excess transfer sheet. Peel off the backing paper and press it onto the Smoothfoam block. Poke pilot holes with the hot knife into the interiors of the letters.
2. Carefully carve out the Smoothfoam block with the tabletop hot wire cutter. Unthread and re-insert the wire into each pilot hole to make each interior cut.
4. Paint the carving chalky baby blue. Let dry.
5. Add details with the fabric markers as shown.
* You are welcome to use my original artwork for your own use or for a gift/donation only. You may not use my designs for items intended for resale – that is a copyright infringement. Thank you!