By combining carving techniques and layers of paint, you can create a pretty décor accent for anywhere in your home that looks like real stone or metal. I wanted this faux bronze alphabet block to look a bit like a bronzed wooden block. I think this DIY Father’s Day craft would make a great gift—it’s masculine and charming and it complements a rustic or old world décor. Make more than one to spell out a name or inspirational word.
1. Carve a design into the Smoothfoam block. I began with clay-carving tools but found a heat tool allowed me to get a little more detail much quicker. Each side features a different letter, to spell LOVE. The top and bottom are heart designs.
2. Paint the entire block using a medium brown.
3. To use a paper towel as a blotting cloth, fold it lengthwise and twist the ends together into a handle to hold, leaving the flat folded area to blot with. Tap the towel into some paint, then tap off the excess on to a sheet of wax paper before applying it to the block.
4. Add layers of color using this blotting technique. Start with gold, then dark brown, then cream, then medium brown. Placing lighter shades under the darker colors will give your piece more highlights and shadows, creating a “bronzed” texture. Allow to dry.
5. Apply a generous coat of glaze on each side, one at a time, allowing it to dry before doing the next side to prevent dripping.