I absolutely love this conversation between Alice and the Cheshire Cat from Lewis Carroll’s Alice in Wonderland – the original cat was illustrated for the book by John Tenniel.
“But I don’t want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked.
“Oh, you can’t help that,” said the Cat. “We’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad.”
“How do you know I’m mad?” said Alice.
“You must be,” said the Cat, “or you wouldn’t have come here.”
And wouldn’t this mad Cheshire Cat make a great wallhanging in your entryway? Your guests would know that they were in for some fun! This carving is actually pretty easy to make using a minimum of supplies. Don’t be scared by the artwork; because this is such a simple image made up of little white lines, everyone will easily be able to recognize the Cheshire Cat, no matter what your drawing skills!
12″ Smoothfoam Scrapbook Mount sheet
Sulky Stick’n Carve Printable Transfer sheets
Acrylic paint – chalkboard black
Proxxon Tabletop Hot Wire Cutter
Hot Wire Foam Factory Hot Knife and Engraving Tool
Paint pens – white, orange
1. Click here to download* my artwork. Because the design is too large to fit on a single sheet of Sulky, I tiled it on two pages. Print the artwork on to the Sulky Stick’n Carve Printable Transfer Sheets. Peel off the backing release paper and apply the Sulky sheet pieces to the Smoothfoam sheet, overlapping to make one continuous design. Trim off the excess transfer sheet.
3. Use the Engraving Tool to carve the wording and other details into the foam. Be sure to carve the eyes, nose, ears and mouth of the Cat. This will make the painting much easier later. Peel off the transfer sheets when finished.
4. Paint the foam black. Let dry.
5. Add details with the paint pens as shown.
6. Refer to the printed image of the Cat on the Sulky sheet and draw lots of little white lines with the white paint pen. After a few minutes of drawing, the cat magically appear!
7. Glue a picture hanging hook to the back or display on an easel. Enjoy!
* Copyright: You are welcome to use my original artwork only for your own use or for a gift/donation. You may not use my designs for items intended for resale.