I love autumn with its gorgeous colors, crisp juicy apples and the smell of campfires and burning leaves. My house is decorated in fall colors, so this mirror will fit perfectly in any room. Every time you look into this mirror, remind yourself that you are the apple of someone’s eye, and as Lennon and McCartney said, “Love is all you need.”
Smoothfoam balls make perfect apples with just a little bit of slicing and carving. This project took less than two hours from concept to completion, so it’s easy to make and pretty to look at!
Five Smoothfoam 2″ balls
12″ beveled mirror
Acrylic paints – Bright Gold, Crimson Red
Black permanent inkpad
Brown air-dry clay
Branch push mold for clay
Fabric leaf picks
Heavy-duty craft glue
Hotwire foam cutter, craft knife
Sand paper, scissors, skewers
Paint brush, sponge
1. Cut each 2″ Smoothfoam ball in half, sand any rough spots, and cut a small V-shaped wedge from the top of each half. Sand smooth the edges in the V.
2. Mix the two paints (50/50) to create a metallic burnt orange shade. Insert a skewer into the flat side of each ball, making sure it doesn’t go all the way through and paint them front and back. Place the skewers into a wide-mouth jar, making sure the apples are not touching, until the paint dries.
3. Cut the leaves from the floral stems and separate them into 3 sizes. Set one medium leaf aside to use to trim smaller leaves for the apples. Glue the largest leaves around the mirror, about 1″ inside the edge. If you do not have enough large leaves to complete the circle, just add a couple of medium leaves, randomly but evenly spaced, and move them to the outer 1/2″ edge of the mirror.
6. Trace a 12″ circle onto poster board with a plate or template.
7. Trim out the circle and glue it to the back of the mirror. Attach a self-adhesive picture hanger to the upper center of the poster board.
9. Push some brown clay into the branch mold, then cut into small piecs to make the apples stems and sponge each stem with black permanent ink. Cut ten small leaves from the leaf you had set aside. Glue the leaves and stems to the top of each apple.